More people choose to eat meals outside the home. Restaurants have the opportunity to provide healthy and tasty meals to residents of Schuyler County. Participation with this initiative offers those involved the chance to improve the community’s health through dining out in Schuyler County.
Participation with HEAL Schuyler requires the following:
1. Display provided logo
2. Meet one standard, either Member, Bronze, Silver or Gold.
3. Provide 2 recipes to do a nutrition analysis on.
Benefits of Participation in program.
- Participating restaurants will be recognized as Public Health Partner in promoting healthier communities on our webpage, Facebook and twitter.
- Contribute to a healthier Schuyler County.
- New restaurants standards meet the National Restaurant Associations standards for Kids Live Well and Healthy Dining and FDA guidelines for "Healthy" products.
- HEAL Schuyler offers free analysis of recipes that will qualify members to meet the new standards.
To complete the form electronically- Click Here
Voluntary Food Standards Categories
Click on the links below to see the different food standards under each category.
Meet one standard within 3 out of the 4 categories
- Offer at least one baked/broiled fish or poultry entree.
- CHILDREN MEALS
- Include healthier beverage option (reduced fat, 2% milk low fat 1%, non-fat milk, non-dairy milk alternative or water)
- Offer fruits and vegetables as part of all children's meal
- Offer at least one whole grain choice.
- Offer side salad or vegetable rather than French Fried at no extra charge.
- Offer a choice of fruits and vegetables prepared without added fats
- Offer option for smaller soup servings
- Offer salad dressing on the side
- PORTION SIZES
- Offer option for smaller entree portions (At least 1/3 smaller than full size meal)
- Offer to serve half entree with remainder provided in to-go container
- Offer additional utensils/plates for sharing (entrees/desserts)
- Discontinue offering free refills on sugar sweetened beverages
- Offer gravies/sauces on the side
Must meet all these requirements to meet the bronze standard
- Offer at least one whole grain
- Must offer healthy beverage (1% milk low fat milk, non fat milk, non-dairy milk alternative or water)
- Offer one baked/broiled chicken, fish or meat alternative
- VEGETABLE FRUIT REQUIREMENTS (MEETS ONE)
- Offer side salad or vegetable rather than French Fries at no extra charge
- Offer a choice of fruits and vegetable prepared without added fats
- Offer fruit and vegetables as part of children's meal
Silver requirements has to meet all of the bronze requirements and one listed below
- Meets added sugars requirement of less than 8 tsps.
- MEET CALORIE REQUIREMENTS
- Adult snack calories <250 calories
- Kids snack <200 calories
- Kids entree <350
- Adult entree <700 calories
Meets all of silver level requirements
- Has one gluten free meal available.
- RESTRICTS FATS
- Sum of monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are greater than the total saturated fat content of food
- Fat <25 g
- RESTRICTIONS OF SATURATED FATS
- <= 10% of daily calories, kids meal
- Saturated Fats <8g entree
- Saturated Fats <3g side item
- Kids meal <=480 mg entree
- Kids meal <= 200 mg side item
- Adult meal <=800 mg
- MEETS 10% DAILY VALUE OF
- Vitamin A- >500 IU
- Vitamin C- >6 mg
- Calcium - >100 mg
- Iron- >1.8 mg