Medicare Health Insurance Counseling (HIICAP)
Health Insurance Information, Counseling & Assistance Program (HIICAP)
HIICAP provides you with confidential, unbiased information about Medicare and related health insurance issues through:
- Individual counseling sessions
- A trained counselor can assist you with your questions or issues. We appreciate appointments for this service but hours are flexible to accommodate your schedule. Arrangements can be made for those without transportation or who are home bound for home visits. To schedule an appointment, call OFA at (607) 535-7108.
- Community presentations and outreach
- Newspaper and newsletter articles
- Outreach at community events
- Collaboration with other area agencies and businesses
- Medicare Savings Program
- Medicare Part D prescription-drug coverage and assistance with pharmacy issues
- EPIC (New York State’s “Elderly Pharmaceutical Assistance Program”)
- Medigap coverage- Medicare Supplement Plans
- Medicare private insurance (Medicare Advantage Plans)
- What costs does Medicare cover, not cover?
- Medicare coordination with other health insurance (employer / retiree, Medicaid)
- Assistance with paperwork
- Assistance with resolving health insurance problems
- Medicare fraud, abuse detection, and reporting
There is no charge for these services. There is a HIICAP program in every county in New York State. If you live outside of Schuyler County call the HIICAP toll free number, 1-800-701-0501 to be connected to your local HIICAP counselor.
Need help paying for Medicare? Programs are available to assist income-eligible beneficiaries with the costs of Medicare premiums and co-payments.
- Medicare Savings Program: helps people pay for the out of pocket costs of Medicare, including the monthly Medicare Part B premium (the $109 or $134 that comes directly out of your monthly Social Security benefit ), and the monthly Part D (prescription drug) premium. The Medicare Savings Program is a joint federal/state program. You may apply at your local Medicaid office or through HIICAP. For more information, including qualifying income, required documents, or applications, call the HIICAP program.
- Low Income Subsidy, or “Extra Help”: a federal program that helps you pay for most of the costs of Medicare drug coverage. The level of help you are eligible for depends on your income and assets.
- Paper application (you must use an original)
- Over the telephone with a Social Security Administration agent: 1-800-772-1213
- In person at your local Social Security office
Need assistance applying? HIICAP can help! Call to make an appointment. (607) 535-7108
Other programs, such as patient assistance programs, are available to help you pay for your medications. Don’t go without! Call HIICAP today to find out about other ways to get low-cost or no-cost prescription drugs.