Council of Governments
The Schuyler County Council Of Governments is an association of municipal governments and school districts whose mission is to provide a forum for discussion and negotiation leading to agreements for increased efficiency, fiscal responsibility, and improved quality of government services.
In July of 2005, the county formed a Council of Governments (COG), consisting of the chief elected officials from each of the 12 towns and villages, the chief school officers from the two school districts, and representatives of the county legislature (two). After adopting bylaws and selecting officers, the COG has identified a number of areas to collaborate in to accomplish their mission.
The SCCOG’s meets at least quarterly. Their short term goals include:
- Expanding cooperation among taxing entities and reducing duplication of services pertaining to both the municipalities and school districts
- Improving communication among municipalities and county government
- Through increased interaction and communication, increase the level of public collaboration and sharing of services within Schuyler County
- Opportunities for consolidations or economies of scale
- Tax collecting services
- President - John King, Mayor for the Village of Montour Falls
- Vice President - John VanSoest, Supervisor for the Town of Catharine
- Secretary - Peggy Tomassi, Confidential Secretary to the County Administrator
2017 Meeting Dates: January 25th, April 26th, July 26th and October 25th at 7:00PM in conference room #120 of the Human Services Complex, Montour Falls.